Gorodets appeared thanks to prince Yuriy Dolgorukiy (the founder of Moscow) as a fortress for defending eastern frontiers of his principality in 1152.
The place was named Gorodets, which means “a small stockaded town”.
Today Gorodets is known as a «town of masters» – place of numerous crafts. Famous Gorodets painting, gold embroidery, wood carving, honey cakes baking, pottery, basket weaving still flourish here.
Therefore the town has unusual places of interest: the Gingerbread Museum and the Samovar Museum.
In Gorodets one can visit the “Gorodets painting” factory and participate in the excursion to the “Town of Masters”.